Tuesday, September 9, 2014

CX Season



Last week was the start of Cross season and we kicked it off with a Team Double Check sponsored annual Labor Day Cyclocross race. Training Area East on Joint Base Lewis McChord continues to be a fantastic spot for a race. Not just because of the vast amount of space we have to work with for course setup, but parking, shade and vendor support play a critical role as well. I think the turn out this year was a bit better than last and everyone enjoyed an injury free race in perfect weather. I picked up a single speed (Single Greer) from a teammate earlier in the year and after working on the drive train, headset and swapping out the wheel set, I was set to enter a different category. Racing on a single speed bike versus a multi-geared is definitely a new, but welcomed challenge. Having only one gear forces you to race up the hills and spin, spin, spin on the flats. I completed the race without incident until I approached the last barrier on the last lap. I unclipped my left shoe and attempted the right, but it wouldn't come out because one of the screws holding the cleat in had backed out allowing the cleat to rotate freely. I ended up hobbling over the barriers and the run up with my right foot stuck to the pedal. The crowd was cheering me on, so I couldn't give up. I made it up, re-mounted the bike and pedaled across the finish losing 5 spots in the process. I had a good time and it felt good getting the heart rate up for 40 minutes.



I had to use a screwdriver to get the shoe off after I got home. All the movement chewed up the bottom of the shoe a bit, but I got the cleat back in place without issue. 

Lake Sammamish was Sunday and I entered the Single Speed category once again. You have a few things going against you in this cat. You don't go out until 130 in the afternoon and by that time the course is chewed up pretty good and the weather plays a critical role. It was hot for the first race and by the time I went out, it had reached the mid 80's. The course was dry and it ran us through the sand three separate times. I'm not a fan of sand and it really took the wind out of my sails. I was out of gas and sweating so bad on the third lap, I was hoping to get lapped. My wish was granted toward the end of my fourth. I finished 43 out of 51 and felt like I came in DFL because I got my ass kicked!  I was very dehydrated and couldn't get enough fluids in me to ease the pain. I saw someone dump a cooler of ice in the grass next to us, so I filled one of my socks up and placed it on the back of my neck. I never felt anything so refreshing. Fort Steilacoom is in three weeks and I'll be looking for more pain on Single Greer. I guess I left myself for plenty of room for improvement with such a poor finish, but I've been there before. Like the multi speed bike, my goal is to finish mid pack each race.



A Motley Crue. Brian, Scott and Mike heading out for a warm up lap. Brian kicked butt and took second in the Masters 60 +.


Food was a priority leaving the park and this place had tons of cars in the parking lot, so it had to be good. The cheeseburger and 32 oz Root Beer was gone in no time after being placed in front of me. I was a happy camper.  

 

No comments: