Monday, October 7, 2013

New Project

With the government shutdown and me getting laid off, I had some time to kill. I started a minor remodel on the our main bathroom beginning with new floor tiles and painting the trim. The floor's down and I'll be re-installing the trim tonight. We started having some minor plumbing issues with the hot water faucet several months ago and I've fixed it (so I thought) a couples times and it's finally time to strip it to studs, install a new shower faucet assembly, cement board, tile... More to come on this. 

I also started another motorcycle project. It's a 1990 Yamaha FZR 1000. It's been sitting for a little over a year and yesterday was the first chance I had to tinker with it. After a few hours of TLC, new plugs and carb cleaner, I had it running and rode it up and down the street to see how it handled. What a beast! My truck has a better turning radius than this. The guy I bought it from told me it skips out of second gear when the rpms reach 4500 and he was right. The goal was to make sure the bike runs correctly and then pull the motor, crack the case and swap out the bad gears with new ones. I ordered a better manual and it should be here by Friday, so I'll be doing some reading on the task and purchasing new parts in a week or so. I'm guessing the major work will start by the end of the month. Wish me luck because this will be new ground for me as far as motorcycle go. 



Here's a picture of the beast before I pulled everything off. I plan on painting it Jet Black if the crankcase work goes well. 

No comments: