Thursday, October 17, 2013

Shower Remodel

Our main bathroom has been having minor plumbing issues for several months now and I/we decided it was time for a makeover. I demo'd the walls and replaced the plumbing the first day and installed the wall board and tiles the next. I did all the grout work after work yesterday and was looking forward to a good nights rest. In the sack at 915, asleep at 930 only to awaken to the sounds of a shower at 1130. Weird?  I crawled out of bed and just before I opened the door to the bathroom, I stepped onto a water soaked carpet. Stepping inside the bathroom, I yelled HOLY SHIT! The whole place was flooded from a broken hot water line under the sink. Totally unrelated to my current project. Susan ran down stairs to shut off the main water supply and I reached under the sink to kill it at the source. To my surprise, the cold water valve was leaking too. When it rains it pours. The water was draining into the ventilation system and through any crack it could find to make it's way into the laundry room downstairs. The four of us spent four hours utilizing every towel in the house to blot up as much water possible and then squeezing it into the tub/shower. We looked like we should have been on an episode of I Love Lucy. : ) 


From the bathroom looking into our bedroom,


Looking into the hallway


I had to cut and remove the carpet in the downstairs hallway because it was too saturated to dry. 



Here's the culprit. I guess it was old and the clamp couldn't hold it anymore? 


Laundry room ceiling tiles.


More tiles. 
I rented four high volume, low pressure fans and a dehumidifier and I'm hoping it will be dry after two days with all of them running. The carpet dude will be stopping by tomorrow to do a visual and quote us a price to replace the damaged areas. Needless to say, the shower didn't get worked on today, but I'll post some pictures when done. Speaking of showers, I was wondering why the shower mate downstairs was always wet? It's leaking too! I think it's getting behind the tiles and seeping outside the pan and onto the floor. Did I already say, when it rains it pours? Life of a homeowner.

No comments: